I just want to tell you a very short story which may go some way to explaining why you may be frustrated at work. And this is a real life story set in Mexico with a guy called Hector who is a brilliant shoe maker. Now, Hector’s shoes are so good that people come from as far as France to buy his shoes, but Hector is really frustrated. He’s frustrated because although he knows in his mind that he could be making 100 pairs of shoes per week, he’s actually making 30 pairs of shoes per week. He’s spending most of his time doing sales and marketing and collecting payments (which he is really bad at).
So Hector’s friend introduces him to Sergio. Now, Sergio is great at sales, great at marketing and he’s even better at collecting payments. The two of them work together and after a year, they’re easily making 100 pairs of shoes per week by working in tandem and collecting the money on time and have a thriving business. And they’re much happier!
The message here is that you:
- Need to begin to figure out your strengths, [favourite] skills and natural talents.
- And then you need to seek out roles and opportunities that are aligned with your skills and natural talents. Either within your current organisation or elsewhere.
- And then begin to work with people who compliment your skills and compliment your strengths
Both of you, or all of you within your team will be much happier.
***** end *******
If you want to know more about getting to grips with your strengths then please come and listen to tomorrow’s video session with Careers expert, Scott Anthony Barlow. His session will begin at 11am ET / 4pm GMT On Tuesday 13th September and will be available for 24 hrs…
Scott’s session is a phenomenal, personal account of how he went from panic attacks and health issues – at the thought of work – to identifying what he is good at. He has been able to turn his career around and has inspired others to do the same. Today Scott runs a growing careers advice business that ‘helps people do stuff that they really want to for work’ as opposed to working for the end of the month. HappenToYourCareer.Com focuses on uncovering key strengths which are one of the key building blocks to identify meaningful work.
his session is entitled
From uncertainty to clarity: How To Find your strengths and figure out what you’re good at:
It will cover…
- How he went about finding his strengths
- Tips, hacks and tools to identifying strengths
- Questions to ask trusted friends and family that will help you to identify your strengths
- What to do with the data you gather from your strengths assessment and the importance of prioritisation
- A really easy formula to answer the question “what’s your biggest strength?” and the information needed to answer the question
- How to identify your achievements to appeal to hiring managers and interviewers
- The biggest mistake you can make in an interview and the 3 reasons companies hire people